Our heating adventure continues. When we moved we knew we had ~1,000 gallon oil tank, but when the oil company came and told us it was just short of full, we were happy to only put in 27 gallons. Then our heat went out after a few days in the warehouse.
Four days later, the oil company came and essentially said “our bad, the tank was really empty last time we came” and put in 850 gallons. The bill for that fill up ran us just over $3k, but we figured it would last a while.
Apparently not. We checked the tank today – which consists of sticking a large stick down a pipe – and roughly 1/5th of the 850 gallons was gone. Ummm ~$2,500/month on heat during the winter is not going to fly.
So we lowered the thermostat on the warehouse floor from 60 degrees to 50 degrees. We have a little 200 sq-ft office that Mike and Greg spent a weekend renovating (pics on Mike’s site) and we keep that at 70 degrees and right now are pretty much doing all computer work in there.
We’ll check the stick again a week from now and see how it goes. If not, I think we’ll need to get an energy expert to come in and analyze the situation and recommend things we can do beyond the obvious ones like energy efficient thermostats and adding a bit of insulation.