Skidmore Round 2

I gave my “Entrepreneurship as a Career Choice” talk again yesterday at Skidmore.  Much like last semester, it was an amazing experience.  I revised my presentation a bit, and overall I thought I did a good job.   More than that though, it’s just an awesome feeling giving a talk and knowing that people are genuinely interested in what you have to say.

Like last time, it started off with a 20 minute debate between the students about whether or not you should start a business right out of college.  And like last time, they brought up all of the exact pros and cons that one should consider before starting their own company.  A very sharp group of students.

My talk consisted of 30 minutes of telling my story, a few minutes of telling the stories of a few other young entrepreneurs I know, and then about 25 minutes of Q&A/discussion about starting your own business.  Again, much like last time, the questions were absolutely great questions.  It’s really cool being able to have an intelligent conversation with a group of students who are seriously considering starting their own business.  As part of the class, the professor is giving them each $100 with the goal of starting a revenue-generating company by the end of the semester.  How about that for a cool college class!

Unfortunately it appears as if Professor Wales will be moving on to bigger and better things next year, so this talk probably won’t be happening at Skidmore in future semesters.   It’s truly been an honor to go there and be able to speak.  The students are some of the most impressive college kids I’ve ever met. I’ve had two awesome experiences and hopefully been able to have some impact on the decisions these students make coming out of college.  Much like this blog, my goal is definitely not to get every student to become an entrepreneur, but to get every student to consider entrepreneurship.  Hopefully through my talk and by taking this class, these students will be able to truly evaluate whether or not this is something that they want to do.

13 comments on Skidmore Round 2

1. Jay Lin says:

Hey Adam,

I consider myself an entrepreneur and in addition to your goal of helping people consider entrepreneurship,your blog does these two things for me:

1. It gives me a lot of great ideas
    2. It keeps me motivated

Keep up the good work.

Thanks Jay – I appreciate the kind words!

3. Donya says:

Thank you for the lecture in class! It was really interesting to hear your story and it really helped me to start thinking about the bigger picture. Not only that, after your lecture we’ve been able to progress as a group on our idea from a lot of the key points you made and it’s been helping us a lot!
    Thanks again!

4. Sean says:

Thanks again for visiting our class. It was informative to hear an entrepeneur in the real world share his experiences.

5. Sean says:

Whoops. Mispelled entrepreneur, but I guess I can’t edit it :).

Donya and Sean – thanks for taking the time to visit my blog and to comment. I’m glad you enjoyed the lecture. It means a lot to me to hear that from you guys. Keep up the great work on your projects. I’m going to stay in touch with Prof Wales and check back towards the end of the semester to see how you guys are coming along. The ideas everyone pitched to me were awesome so I’m sure you’ll do great 🙂

7. Andrew says:

Thanks for taking the time to come and talk to us. Much like Donya said, your stories and answers to our questions have contributed to our group discussions as we attempt to move forward in the process.

It’s unfortunate that you won’t be able to give the same talk again- your real-world experiences really put the class topics in perspective.

I trust that this isn’t the last time you will hear from me. I may have to further tap into your knowledge base as the semester progresses, and maybe even beyond that.

Thanks Andrew! I’m always happy to do anything I can do help, even if you just need someone to bounce an idea off of. Just leave a comment or drop me an email at adam [at] adam-mcfarland [dot] net.

As far as not being able to give the presentation again, yea I’m a bit bummed out. It is unfortunate. I’m not sure where I’m going to go next with it, but I do want to continue giving the presentation. Where and when and to whom is still to be determined 🙂

9. Katie Dalton says:

Adam,
    Thanks again for coming to speak with our class. Like Andrew mentioned, the opportunity to have some “real world” exposure to the entrepreneurial process that we’re learning in class is really insightful, and particularly valuable coming from such a young person as yourself, as you were in our shoes really only just a few years ago. We’ll be sure to keep you up to date on our business ventures this semester and thanks again for taking the time out of your schedule to share your experiences with us!

10. Sam says:

Once again,
    Thanks so much for coming to speak to us. Reading a textbook and listening to lectures can only get you so far- and by having a successful entrepreneur come speak is fantastic insight. It was enlightening to hear you speak about the difficultly of the corporate world and how you needed that certain change.

11. […] gave my second Skidmore talk, which – while very rewarding – does distract me from getting work done for the few days […]

12. […] being able to positively influence young minds.  That’s why the two times that I was able to speak to students at Skidmore College about “entrepreneurship as a career choice” mean so much to me.   Hopefully that hour […]

13. […] a couple of awesome presentations at Skidmore College, I was a bit bummed to hear that Professor Wales, my good friend and teacher of the class, had […]