How to Judge Anything You Read

I love to read. Almost every day I read blogs, magazines, and books. Much like Mark Cuban, who claims to read 3 hours per day, I make it a huge priority even on the busiest of days to find some time to read:

Most people wonโ€™t put in the time to get a knowledge advantage. Sure, there were folks that worked hard at picking up every bit of information that they could, but we were few and far between. To this day, I feel like if I put in enough time consuming all the information available, particularly with the net making it so readily available, I can get an advantage in any technology business. Of course my wife hates that I read more than 3 hours almost every day, but it gives me a level of comfort and confidence in my businesses. AT MicroSolutions it gave me a huge advantage. A guy with little computer background could compete with far more experienced guys just because I put in the time to learn all I could.

But I’m very selective with what I read. If it sucks, if I’m not learning from it, I put it down. That’s how I judge any book/magazine/blog – did I learn something?

When it comes to blogs, if it goes a few weeks without me gaining anything from it, I delete it from my Google Reader. Two or three bad issues of a magazine and it’s done in my book (Entrepreneur magazine is one that I ditched a while back). If a book just isn’t what I expected it to be, and it’s clear it isn’t getting better, I put it down and move on to another one.

Sort of an updated version of the What I Read post from almost two years ago, here’s a list of the work related blogs, magazines, and books that I currently read. Meaning that I consistently find value in their content. I obviously don’t reread the books in their entirety on a regular basis, but I do find myself constantly referring back to them, so I consider them “must reads” for aspiring entrepreneurs.

(I read a lot more blogs that aren’t listed here, many of which are sports related or fitness related or are blogs written by my friends/family)

Tech Blogs

Entrepreneur’s Blogs

Magazines

Books

What about you guys?ย  What are your must read business blogs, magazines, and books?

9 comments on How to Judge Anything You Read

1. Jakob says:

Thanks for the links. My fav rss feeds:
    Chez Larsson (http://chezlarsson.typepad.com/)
    Rules For My Unborn Son (http://rulesformyunbornson.tumblr.com/)
    Coyote Blog (http://www.coyoteblog.com/)

Awesome Jakob – thanks for the links, I’ll definitely check all of them out. Btw, your comment didn’t appear immediately b/c it had 2+ links in it. I have WP set to require me to manually approve those. Just wanted to give everyone else a heads up if they share a lot of links…which is what I hope ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Adam Gilbert says:

Adam,

As always, I appreciate you including me. It means a lot! And that’s a great question to ask before publishing a post: Will people gain something from this? (Obviously, the more the better)

I just want to say your blog is one of the few blogs I consistently read so please keep the extremely useful and interesting content coming!

By the way, having my name in between Mark Cuban and Matt Mullenweg looks pretty good! ๐Ÿ™‚

-A

The awesome thing about the web is the way it equalizes everything. It gives people the opportunity to choose between reading you or I or Mark Cuban. It’s pretty amazing when you think about it.

Btw – love that you’re now sharing your daily inspirations. For anyone who doesn’t read Adam’s blog, he also has a second blog that he previously only shared with his clients http://www.mybodytutor.com/blog/

3. paoix says:

http://sethgodin.typepad.com/ always has some good tidbits. short posts too. good for busy people.

Thanks Paolo. I just added it to my feed reader. I’ve always heard great things about Seth and his books but haven’t had the chance to read them.

4. bobby says:

excellent, thanks for sharing! i was actually going to send you an email asking you what blogs you enjoy reading!

5. […] stand by that quote I wrote in 2008. Since writing that post about what I read, and the follow-up post in 2009, there has only been one major thing that I’ve changed about the way I consume news: I listen […]