My Favorite Non-Detailing Uses for Our Products

Adam's DI Favorites

It’s no secret that I’m not nearly as in to detailing as my partners are. I enjoy learning about our products and trying them out from time to time, but for the most part I’m more focused on the web stuff and not the car stuff. I have however, come to love using many of our products for non-detailing related purposes in my every day life. Here are my six favorite:

1. 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover – this stuff gets stains out of any fabric.  I’ve used it to get all sorts of spills out of the carpet in my apartment and it hasn’t failed me once.  We’re talking grease, tea, food, etc.  A few sprays, let it sit, and brush it out.
  2. Chemical Guys Window Clean – an amazing window cleaner.  I do use it on my car, but I use it far more on my bathroom mirror and on windows inside my apartment.  It smells like Windex but works better and contains no ammonia.
  3. Chemical Guys Clear Seal – generally used to clean, polish and protect plastic, this stuff works wonders on my electronics when used in conjunction with an Ultra Plush Towel.  My laptop, cell phone, monitors, flat screen, and the like all look like brand new after a quick spray and wipe.
  4. All Purpose Towel – I’ve got probably 20 of these in my closet.  I use them for all of my cleaning and dusting around the house.  So much more effective than paper towels.
  5. Mini Microfiber Towel – these tiny towels measure 6″ x 7″ .  I carry one at all times in my laptop bag and use it regularly when I’m on the go to clean my screen, keyboard, and even my cell phone.
  6. Waffle Weave Drying Towel – our extremely popular drying towel. I use it to dry my dishes.  I’ve got a few in the closet that I rotate through so I never run out.  I can’t use any other towel now.  It’s ability to soak up water is unreal.

Ironically, we attempted to re-brand these products for these purposes with our “home store” on Tastefully Driven, but that was hands down the least successful of the various sections of the site.   Oh well.  I’m happy just using this stuff for myself and sharing it with my friends and family.  It’s rare that you walk in to the house of someone I know without finding any of these products.  I always get asked “do you guys have something for XYZ” and we almost always do, and it’s almost always something that works great, which just leads to more requests, which I don’t mind in the least.  It’s a great way for me to be into our products without being into detailing.  I think overall it goes to show the shear quality of the products we stock, and the vision that Greg and George have to only pick up products that they use and recommend themselves, and not just any random brand with a good profit margin.

10 comments on My Favorite Non-Detailing Uses for Our Products

1. jennsquared says:

Very interesting. I’ll have to get my hands on the waffle towel and the glass cleaner at some point! (Need clean windows for drive-in movies!!!)

Haha Jenn. Yes, clean windows are very important for the drive-ins! Speaking of which, I haven’t been to a drive-in in years…

2. I now know where to get microfiber towels from! A must for my iPhone!

Definitely. I can’t overemphasize how well our towels work on electronics. We get samples from other microfiber companies all the time and the majority of them aren’t even close to the quality we carry (I’ve got a closet full of samples too, but they don’t get used nearly as often).

3. Neville says:

As someone who owns a rave company, I’m always amused at the sheer number of non-rave uses the products get.

This definitely made me laugh (and want a waffle towel).

4. Dale Ting says:

Hey Adam,

I find it interesting that rebranding it didn’t work… Goes to show how important that niche is that you have!

The margins were amazing. We picked up a mop that was a really great product, and we also sold bath towels that are the best I’ve ever used (have 4 of them myself). We just couldn’t figure out how to market it. Our moms and aunts were our #1 customers! It’s the type of stuff that most people buy at Walmart for a fraction of the price. It’s hard, especially online, to show just how much better the quality is if you pay more.

Our best bet would have probably been to go all-out with the electronics cleaning angle. We had some YouTube videos of us cleaning laptops, iPods, etc. I think we would have had to sponsor some big electronics sites and spent a lot of time writing articles and shooting more videos for it to have worked.

On the other hand, we didn’t have much trouble marketing the fitness products. We never really got beyond that and into the other sections. It was the only stuff that moved at a fast pace. Had we continued with it, I think we would have spun off the fitness into it’s own website and try to turn it into DI #2. Unfortunately we just don’t have the resources to make that happen without sacrificing on DI. Hence, LockerPulse 🙂

• Dale Ting says:

Adam… I’m thinking maybe what you need is a different distribution channel! Maybe time to conjure up Billy Mays in a seance?

You’ve got the wheels turning in my head. Too bad you don’t know anyone who works for a company that sells cleaning products… 😉

Haha Yes, we need Billy or Vince the Sham Wow guy. They are all over the auto forums we sponsor trying to get the car market using those things. I’ve never personally used it, but I’ve know a lot of people who have been disappointed. Then again, they sell a lot more product than us so…