My Productive Fall

Towards the end of Summer I decided to sit down and make a list of things that I wanted to accomplish this Fall before the Holiday Season started. It was a lot – more than I thought I could get to – but I like to challenge myself. We consider our “Holiday Season” to start on November 1. I like to have every new cart feature in place by mid-October so we have some time to work any kinks out before the big rush. I’m taking some time off this week and next week to head back to James Madison to give another talk, and also to visit some friends and family down South. Therefore, my deadline to get everything done was yesterday…and I did it.

Here’s the list I put together on 8/20:

We also hired our first full-time employee during that time period too.

Now, some of that stuff I can’t/won’t/shouldn’t delve into exactly what it involved, but all of it was important and it all wrapped up nicely heading into the Holidays. When I get back, I can focus on 1) the extra day-to-day work involved in making things run smoothly during a busy season, and 2) finally devoting the majority of my “project time” to growing LockerPulse.

I realize that my posts have dropped off a bit. I’ll probably end up posting a bit more once I get back. The past few months I chose getting an extra hour or two of work done over writing a post. It’s always a balancing act – if business and/or my personal life are super busy, the first thing that I’ll trim back on is the blog posts.

At the end of any given day, I always feel better when I put in a hard days work. It’s always very satisfying to set aggressive goals and then nail all of them.

I’m not sure whether or not I’ll post when I’m gone. I’ll definitely be back in early November when the fun begins!

9 comments on My Productive Fall

1. Oke says:

Adam, I feel ya on the cutting of activities for what’s more important. I am realizing that I can’t get as much done with blogging everyday. It is just hard and can’t wait til I get back to my old schedule of getting my business stuff completed. A balancing act it is.

At some point in the future I’m going to do a post about the work involved maintaining a blog. Don’t get me wrong, I love doing it and it’s been well worth my time, but it’s probably more work to write a post than most people think, as you very well know. I’d love to post daily at some point, but right now it’s just not in the cards for me.

I’ve often wondered how you’ve managed to find the time to maintain a blog of this quality for as long as you have. As you know I’ve had a few failed attempts at blogging myself and the main reason they failed was a lack of time. Factor in me being long winded and it was a receipt for failure.

With your Southern tour starting next week I think you’ll find material for more than a few light hearted posts about the difference of lifestyle. I had thought about starting a blog about my experience as a NY’er in the dirty south, the problem is not a lack of content, there is enough for 1-2 quality posts/week, the problem is time :/

I’m very much looking forward to spending my first substantial amount of time down South (nothing more than a night or two in the past). As we’ve discussed before, I’m very open to all of the cultural differences in the various regions in the country. If I really do decide at some point that another place fits me better than NY, I’ll certainly move there…and the only way to see if that’s the case is to spend time in new and different places.

In terms of the blog, I’ll probably leave that mostly to a post because I could go on for a long time about it. Suffice it to say at this point it’s become a routine part of life for me. I think it would be weird not having a blog!

I really don’t know where you get all your time from! I’m obviously really pleased that you do write such insightful (& interesting!) posts, but like the others I’m not really sure where you find the time to do it. Suppose it’s just something you feel is important, (cf. the “too busy people” post).

I hope you have a great time down south!

4. Leigh says:

I would love it if you posted every day! This is one of my favorite blogs overall, and probably my favorite blog that deals with entrepreneurship. I do understand the work involved in blogging, though (I blog for a few of my clients and I also recently started my own blog to document a passive income experiment I am working on), so I wouldn’t expect you to. I think time between your posts is also a good thing because you have more to write about in each post and it’s exciting to come to the site and see a new post when there hasn’t been one in a few days.

Leigh – good to hear from you and thanks for the kind words! At some point down the road I very well may up the frequency significantly, if only for a short time (kind of like how Nev recently posted every day for a month).

You also bring up a good point – I’ve always wondered what the optimal post frequency was for a blog to excite readers the most. I know the blogs I’m most excited to read are the ones that don’t post every day. It’s a treat to see a new post in my feed reader. Then again, if you have no consistency it’s hard to get into a blog, so there’s some optimal middle ground.

• Leigh says:

I’d be interested to see what the optimal post frequency is, as well. I read Tim Urban’s “Underneath the Turban” blog (he was on the Apprentice, but I read it more because he’s a successful young entrepreneur and an amazing piano player) and he doesn’t post very often at all. When he does post, it’s like getting a little gift that I didn’t expect.