A Huge (& Highly Efficient) Cyber Monday!

Cyber Monday 2011

Cyber Monday 2011 at Detailed Image

That picture says it all. I couldn’t stand back far enough to get all of the boxes in the shot!

I’m writing this at 4:45 PM on Monday, so I’m not sure whether or not today will break our record for sales in a day. I think it will based on our pace, but if it doesn’t, it will be close*. Regardless, we’ve already surpassed last November in sales, and the year as a whole surpassed 2010 a while back so in some ways it’s kind of insignificant.

To me, the real significant thing about today was just how easy it felt. It wasn’t hectic like it was in previous years (see posts from Cyber Monday 2008, 2009, and 2010) but orders were coming in at just as fast of a pace, if not faster. Compared to say 2009 it felt half as busy even though we shipped out more orders.

Throughout the year we put all of these little efficiencies in place to save a minute here and a minute there. We also have worked hard to put together a team of people who work hard but also have a relaxed, positive attitude. All of those things really come together on a day like this. With a really small team – only five of us in the warehouse today – we were able to pack and ship a mountain of orders without rushing or scrambling around.

The number of emails that we received relative to the number of sales has been down as well (yes, we track that number), which again I attribute to all of the little improvements we’ve made throughout the year to our product pages, FAQs, guides, and blogs. It’s a day to celebrate the cumulative impact of all of those little wins.

Oh, and we *almost* filled up the entire FedEx truck. They had to pack the boxes in there pretty tight. I’m looking forward to the day when they have to call in for reinforcements!

*Update 11/29 – The pace picked up considerably in the evening and we ended up destroying our single-day sales record!

13 comments on A Huge (& Highly Efficient) Cyber Monday!

Awesome! This is the picture I was waiting to see – congrats!

2. Dale says:

Great to hear. Hope to join you someday!

3. Dave says:

Amazing job, congrats! I feel like we’re where you were. Next year we’ll start working on more efficiencies to better automate and streamline the order processing.

4. Congrats on the successful and efficient day. The next step will be for you to be able to monitor all of the orders being shipped out while you’re enjoying some quality time on a beach somewhere. 🙂

Thanks Todd! And thank you for all of your hard work this year – your work on the AAP Blog is a huge part of why we’ve been able to continue to grow.

Hopefully we’ll both be sitting on that beach in the near future 🙂

Congratulations, that is one heck of a pile!

With all those parcels passing into customers hands every day I can’t help thinking there’s a branding opportunity here – how much more would it cost to have boxes & tape printed with your name/logo?

That’s a really good question Rob. We’ve looked in to it in the past and it wasn’t cost-effective at the time, but eventually that might change. Other companies do it and I think for the most part it’s great branding. We do worry a little bit about theft increasing, given that our average order value is relatively high and we’d be branding ourselves as “high end car care”. It doesn’t take much for a truck driver to swipe a $200 wax from a box. Not that this outweighs the benefits, just something we’d take in to consideration. This happens every once in a while as it is – a customer gets a box and claims that the high value items are missing, we see photos and it’s clear the box was doctored with prior to arrival…or the customer is lying…but it’s happened enough that I’m sure it’s legit in some cases.

• Rob says:

Oh man that sucks! I never even thought of that. Does the shipping company have to cough up in that case or are they not liable because some of the package made it? Would personalised (security/tamper evident?) tape in fact actually help in this instance as it would make it more difficult for the courier to patch up the box after stealing something?

FedEx is liable in most cases if we can prove it…it also depends whether or not we insure the package – we generally don’t, but for expensive orders we will. It doesn’t happen THAT often so it’s one of those things that up to this point has been cheaper/easier to just take care of on a case-by-case basis than to try to solve on a larger scale.

6. […] to as “Cyber Monday Week” – the Tuesday before Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday. Last year was a huge success, setting the bar pretty high for this […]