We’re On The 2015 Inc. 5000!

Inc. 5000 Pure Adapt

On Wednesday morning I was at the SFO airport about to board when I received a much anticipated text message from my business partner Greg. The Inc. 5000 list came out and we are number 4,284! For those unfamiliar with the Inc. 5000, it’s a ranking of the fastest growing private companies in the US. The Albany Business review also wrote up a short article summarizing the businesses located in the Albany area that are on the list. We are 9th out of 15 companies.

This is one achievement that really means something to me.

I’ve been an Inc. subscriber for about a decade. It was an invaluable resource when transitioning from being an employee to a business owner. When I first saw the Inc. 500/5000 list I said to myself “someday my company will be on that list.” 2015 was the first year that we were eligible. We applied, we made it, and it feels great.

This isn’t going to sell more car care products or probably grow our business in any way. This one was for us. For my partners and I, and for our employees who have helped us grow. It’s just a number on a list, however I can’t help but feel that somehow it makes us more legit. I imagine there are a lot of companies out there with more funding than us, more experience, a larger market, and every other imaginable advantage out there, and yet our tiny little bootstrapped company has been able not only to survive but to thrive.

One thing I miss about myself a decade ago is the fire that I had to prove people wrong. When I was in the process of leaving my job and when we were in the process of starting our company, it felt like everything was working against us and everyone was doubting us. That motivated me. In January of 2006, while in the process of leaving my job, I wrote:

A few weeks in, most people have been overwhelmingly supportive, but it appears that there are a few common misconceptions. I am not “taking a break” from working to “find myself.” I am not going to get a job when I move to NY (that one really drives me nuts).

It’s hard to remember now just how stressful that was to me back then. When people try to be nice to you, but you know deep down that they don’t believe in you and probably think you’re a little crazy. It was frustrating and infuriating, yet endlessly motivating. Hell, it fires me up right now just re-reading that post!

Right or wrong, this feels like “hard proof” to all of those people who doubted us that we finally made it. No matter what happens from here, I haven’t worked a “real job” in almost a decade, and right now, in 2015, we have one of the 5000 fastest growing business in America. When other businesses were failing, we grew 64% in three years. We created jobs. We’ve had fun doing it. That is success to me.

14 comments on We’re On The 2015 Inc. 5000!

1. Scott Messner says:

Congratulations Adam on all your success!!

2. Dave says:

That’s amazing news, congrats Adam and team!

Thanks Scott & Dave!

4. Jakob says:

Awesome!! Congrats and thanks for sharing the journey with us! Seems like it’s the first time sharing revenue and growth data? Must be a little scary revealing that. But awesome numbers!

Thanks Jakob. Yup, you’re correct. Very observant! We did discuss the pros/cons of revealing our #s. This was something we all wanted so we ended up deciding it was worth it. The bigger question is whether or not we apply every year. I think we’ll see what, if any, business benefits come from being on the list and then decide again next year.

Woot woot!! Congrats Adam! I know this has been on your list, it must be a rewarding item to cross off the list 🙂

Thanks Tim! And thanks for all of your help and guidance over the years! It does feel good to cross off the bucket list 🙂

6. Ruth Sano says:

Congratulations to you and your team Adam! Keep up all your hard work and next thing we know you will be on the top 500 list! This is a well deserved honor.

7. Dale says:

Adam, seeing as I see you as someone who is a few years ahead of me in the entrepreneurial journey, I’m really happy to see your company get this recognition. It inspires me to keep going!

And of course, congratulations to you as well!

This is huge! What fantastic news. Well done to you & the team 😀

9. […] we were named to the Inc. 5000, my partners and I wondered what, if anything, would come of it. While did it primarily for […]