In the web venturing class that I’m co-teaching we recently covered SEO for their newly launched WordPress-driven websites. Like every topic in the class, we’re trying to cram ten classes worth of information in to one or two classes so that we can move on to the next topic and give them exposure to all aspects of web venturing throughout the class. Over the course of two periods we covered the basics of on-site SEO, the importance of incoming links, and how to utilize Google Webmaster Tools. We covered most of the important stuff from my SEO & Web Venturing For New Web Ventures essay.
Given that it’s a short semester, a long-term link building plan isn’t really feasible. I decided to offer anyone in the class a link in one of my posts. They were to do some quick keyword research to select the anchor text that they wanted for their link and then post it to our Facebook group. While this isn’t going to help them rank #1 or anything like that, it will pass them a little traffic that they can review in Analytics, show them what an incoming link looks like in Webmaster Tools, and maybe help them get indexed if they aren’t already. Here are the students who took me up on the offer:
- Hungry and Bored – Hungry? Bored? Or Both?
- Easy Seafood Recipes – Hook! Cook! Share!
- All the information you will ever need to know about the Eastern Shore of Virginia.
- The Bro Blog – mushin Dimes since 99′.
- Brian Omps Towing – towing, equipment hauling, and repair services in Winchester, Virginia.
- Skyline Posters, Painting, and Property – Capture the Inspiration. Remember the Adventure.
- CAA Football News – Talk CAA – Your #1 site for the latest CAA Football news.
- Fantasy Football Updates – real-time fantasy updates from different sources around the web.
- College health and Fitness – Maximize The Lift – Maximize Your Life.
- Tirelowpros – The right tires