I’m trying out something new. Since I’ve mostly stopped posting on Twitter, I’ve decided to start doing a monthly roundup of all of the interesting and thought provoking long-form stories that I’ve read recently.
- Google, Uber, and the Evolution of Transportation-as-a-Service – as Uber starts testing self-driving cars in Pittsburgh, Ben lays out an argument for why self driving cars will really come down to Google vs. Uber, and why Uber is the front-runner [Stratechery]
- The myth of low-hanging fruit – this quote is so good “So the next time you call someone’s job easy — or tell an employee to go pick some low-hanging fruit — stop yourself. Respect the work that you’ve never done before. Remind yourself that other people’s jobs aren’t so simple. Results rarely come without effort.” [Signal v. Noise]
- Welcome to the Big Time – Outside the Lines investigates the implosion of daily fantasy sports companies DraftKings and FanDuel. The secondary headline says it all “The implosion of the daily fantasy industry is a bro-classic tale of hubris, recklessness, political naïveté and a kill-or-be-killed culture.” [ESPN OTL]
- Walmart’s Out-of-Control Crime Problem Is Driving Police Crazy – classic Walmart move: rely on the resources of local police instead of hiring security like Target, shopping malls, and everywhere else does. [Businessweek]
- The Swift Rise–and Fall–of America’s One-Time Fastest-Growing Company – I love well-researched stories about why companies fail. The case of Fuhu is similar to many you read about: lots and lots of internal mismanagement combined with a bad read of the market leads to a really fast implosion and bankruptcy. [Inc.]
That’s it for this month. If you’re interested in more stories like this check out the Monthly Link Roundup archive.
- Sometimes It Is Crazy at Work, Big Dairy, and Football’s Insurance Problem – Link Roundup
- Nazi Hunters, Burger Robots, and Xbox Hacking – Link Roundup
- The Most Devastating Cyberattack in History, HelloFresh is Ruthless, & Library Rules – Link Roundup
- Da Vinci, MLM Scams, and a Maple Syrup Heist – Link Roundup
- Ken Burns’ Mind-Blowing 18 Hour Documentary, Lab-Grown Meat, and Second Chances [Link Roundup]